It is important to know that our Office does not investigate reports of child abuse or neglect. If you are concerned that a child or youth is being abused or neglected, you are required to call Child Protection Services:
Business Hours at: 1-877-341-3101
After Hours at: 1-800-341-6868
Kids Help Phone 1-800-668-6868 - get support live on the website or by phone 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.
Contact us. Children and youth have rights under the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.
What does the Child and Youth Advocate do?
- Listens to children and youth and helps to have their voice heard and taken seriously
- Helps connect children, youth and their families to programs and services
- Works with families, professionals, communities, and government to protect and promote your rights
- Makes recommendations and reports about important matters for children and youth
What is something you might want to talk about?
It could be your experience with:
- Adoption Services
- Child Protection Services
- Early Childhood Development and Child Care
- Education Programs and Services
- Health, Mental Health and Addiction Services
- Justice Services
- Social Assistance and programs and services
- and other community organizations with government funded reviewable programs and services
Who can contact the Child and Youth Advocate?
Anyone. You do not need anyone to say you can, or have someone make a referral.
- We are friendly and respectful
- Anyone is welcome to bring a support person to any meeting with us.
- Children and youth have a right to talk to the Child and Youth Advocate privately
- We want everyone to be safe. If a child or youth talks about being hurt by anyone or talks about hurting themselves, we contact other helpers and services.
- The name of any person contacting us is confidential.
What happens when someone contacts the Office of the Child and Youth Advocate?
We will ask:
- the reason for the call
- what is happening
- what is the concern
- how we can contact you
- what, if any, other helpers may be involved
- what you are hoping we can do